Masters: Sergio Garcia Withdraws After Positive Coronavirus Test

Posted by on   /   Posted in golf reviews

Garcia Dropped to 40th in World Rankings

Former Masters Champion Sergio Garcia will miss this year's event at Augusta after a positive test for the coronavirus.

"On Saturday night after driving back from Houston, I started to have a little sore throat and cough," he said.

"The symptoms stayed with me on Sunday morning, so I decided to get tested and so did my wife Angela. Luckily she tested negative, but I didn't."

This year's Masters start on Thursday and have moved from the traditional early April staging due to the first Covid-19 outbreak earlier in the year.

Garcia is the second player to withdraw due to the virus, after Joaquin Niemann pulled out last week after a positive test result.

The Masters policy is not to replace players who choose to withdraw and this year's field is now 92 players.

"After 21 years of not missing a major championship, I will unfortunately miss the Masters this week," Garcia said on Twitter. "Most importantly, my family and I feel good. We'll come back stronger and try the green coat in April. "

Garcia has the cut in his last two Masters starts and sets an undesirable record for most strokes on a hole in history. of the tournament after reaching a 13 on the 15th in the first round of his title defense in 2018.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.