The PGA Tour announced the afternoon news on Champ, 25, stating that he tested positive during a pre-tournament screening. "I feel great physically and I was clearly surprised and disappointed when I heard about the test result," said Champ in the PGA press release. "It is now important to take the necessary steps and measures to protect others, including my loved ones." The American golfer would participate in the tournament this week in Cromwell, Connecticut, which will be held without fans. Last week, golfer Nick Watney retired from the RBC Heritage tournament in Hilton Head, South Carolina, after testing positive for the virus for the second round.
"Champ is fully supported by the PGA TOUR during his self-isolation period under CDC guidelines," said the organization's statement.
The PGA Tour is expected to release full test results when the pre-tournament testing process ends on Wednesday.